Tables can be sorted to visually format the information in your document to suit your needs. This can be used, for example, to alphabetize list entries or arrange data in numerical order.
To sort table rows or columns:
- Hover over an existing row or column and click on the arrow icon to display the following options:
- Insert Row / Insert Column—inserts a new row above the selected row, or a new column to the left of the selected column.
- Delete Row / Delete Column—deletes the selected row or column.
- Merge Cells—merges the selected cell with the cell(s) to the right (if a row is selected) or the cell(s) below (if a column is selected).
- Separate Cells—separates merged cells within the selected row or column.
- Autofit Row to Contents / Autofit Column to Contents—automatically adjusts the height and width of the selected row or column to fit the contents.
- Sort Ascending—sorts the table contents in ascending order.
- Sort Descending—sorts the table contents in descending order.