There are several ways to interact with the spell checker, including using the Spelling dialog or searching for and handling spelling errors directly on the page.
The following options are available from the Spelling dialog (spell checker):
- Current word—select and type to manually input a suggested correction.
- Suggestions list—select a word from the list of suggestions to replace the current word.
- Change—substitutes the misspelt word with the current word.
- Find Next—displays the next misspelt word.
- Ignore—ignores the misspelling of the current word.
- Learn—adds the current word to the dictionary.
- Define—looks up the current word in the launched dictionary application.
- Guess—shows a list of possible alternatives for the current word.
To check spelling:
From the Text menu, from the Spelling sub-menu, select one or more of the following:
- Show Spelling Options—runs the spell checker.
- Check Spelling—displays and selects the next misspelt word.
- Check Spelling While Typing—highlights spelling errors as you type.
To correct a misspelt word on the page:
- With one of the text tools selected, -click the misspelt word and select an alternative from the pop-up menu.
You'll also be able to Ignore Spelling, Learn Spelling (Add to dictionary) and Lookup word from the pop-up menu.
To ignore a misspelt word on the page:
- Select the misspelt word.
- From the Text menu, from the Spelling sub-menu, select Ignore Misspelt Word.
Installing alternative spelling dictionaries
Spelling dictionaries are installed for the languages supported by Affinity apps, except for Chinese, Japanese and Russian. To install for these languages do the following:
- Visit the OpenOffice™ website and download the appropriate language dictionary or try an internet search for "spelling dictionaries".
- Create a language code folder (e.g., ru_RU) in C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\1.0\Dictionaries and copy the downloaded dictionary files into this folder.
- Restart app.