To modify your document setup:
- From the File menu, select Document Setup.
The settings are as follows:
- Document Units—Displays your rulers and object dimensions in pixels, points, picas or using physical measurement units.
- DPI—Sets the resolution of your document. For example, for professional print quality, set your resolution to 300 dpi or above.
- Image Placement Policy—Determines whether placed images will be embedded or linked in the document.
The dialog is split into separate tabs which let you customise your current preset or apply more advanced settings.
- For Layout:
- Facing pages—Check to arrange the document pages in spreads.
- Arrange—Specify whether the spread should be arranged horizontally or vertically. For facing page spreads only.
- Start on—Specify where the spread should start. For facing page spreads only.
- For Colour (management):
- Colour Format—Sets the colour mode to RGB or Grey (8 or 16 bit), CMYK (8 bit), or Lab (16 bit).
- Colour Profile—Sets the colour gamut for the previously chosen colour format.
- For applying a different colour profile, Assign adopts the new profile but leaves the values of the colours/pixels as is. Convert converts each colour from the old profile to the new one—colour/pixel values may change as a result.
- Transparent background—Check to set your page background to be transparent.
- For Bleed:
- Left, Top, Right, Bottom—For professional printing, bleed extends the printable area beyond the page edge to allow artwork to be trimmed. Left and Right bleeds are named Inner Bleed and Outer Bleed, respectively, for facing page spreads.
- Colour—Sets the bleed colour. Select from the pop-up menu