Depending on the type of bevel or emboss set, the rounded-edge might be inside or outside an object, convex or concave, and may include a shadow.
For all bevel/emboss effects you can adopt a preset or custom profile that defines the bevel/emboss edge.
The following settings are shown on the Effects panel:
- Opacity—controls the transparency of the effect.
- Radius—controls the extent of the effect.
- Layer Effects—provides access to the Layer Effects dialog for more advanced settings and controls.
The following advanced settings can be adjusted in the Layer Effects dialog:
- Type—sets an Inner bevel, Outer bevel, Emboss or Pillow emboss effect. Select from the pop-up menu.
- Depth—sets the depth of the effect. This can be linked to Radius or set independently.
- Soften—blurs the shadows and highlights.
- Profile—defines how the light is applied and sculpts the ridges, valleys, and bumps that are shaded in the process.
- Invert—reverses the effect of the lighting profile.
- Remove Profile—returns the profile to the default setting where light is applied evenly.
- Direction—represents the position of the light source, shadow or gradient. Click or drag to adjust the direction (and set the Azimuth and Elevation automatically).
- Azimuth—defines the direction of the light source, shadow or gradient.
- Highlight—sets the blend mode, color and opacity for the highlight. Blend mode defaults to screen.
- Shadow—sets the blend mode, color and opacity for the shadow. Blend mode defaults to multiply.
- Scale with Object—when selected, the effect scales in proportion to the object if the object is resized. If this option is off, the effect's scale remains unchanged when the object is resized.
- Fill Opacity—sets the opacity of the layer contents without affecting the applied effects.
To a preset or custom profile:
- Click the Profile thumbnail.
- In the pop-up panel, choose either:
- One of the Standard profile thumbnails.
- A custom profile: Click on the curve to add a node, drag a node or portion of the curve to shape it.
- Select the Linear checkbox to create a sharp curve or deselect to create a smooth curve.
- Click away from the pop-up panel to apply the profile.