Adjustments are applied to your image from the Layers panel and most include customisable settings alongside general adjustment options.
Adjustment layers only affect objects in the layer which are below them. Alternatively, you can make an adjustment a child of an object, thereby affecting that object only.
Some adjustments (i.e., Curves, Levels, or Channel Mixer) can be made in any colour space independently of the document colour space.
The following general settings are available from all adjustment dialogs:
- Delete—closes the dialog and deletes the adjustment layer, removing the adjustment from the image.
- Merge—merges the current adjustment layer with the layer immediately below it in the layer order.
- Reset—reverts all dialog settings to default.
- Opacity—how see through the adjustment layer is.
- Blend mode—changes how the applied pixels interact with existing pixels on the layer below. Choose mode type from a pop-up menu.
To apply an adjustment:
- On the Layers panel, do one of the following:
- Select a layer to add the adjustment as a child of the layer. It will affect all objects on the selected layer, depending on the adjustment's position within the layer stack.
- Select a layer object/group to add the adjustment which affects that object/group only.
- Click Adjustments and select an adjustment from the pop-up menu.
- If a dialog appears for the adjustment, follow the steps below:
- Adjust the settings in the dialog.
- Close the dialog.